Genki

Photobucket Gen: Origin or Source Photobucket Ki: Air, Spirit and Energy

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My New Year's Tradition


I have been doing something every year on New Years for as long as I can remember.  I don't remember why I started, or how I started this tradition.  I guess it doesn't matter.

For many years before/on the 31st of December I wrote a list of everything that I wanted to "get rid of" in my life.  Things I didn't want to show up in my life in the new year. For example- financial issues, being single, feeling angry or sad...etc .  I stopped doing that particular list a couple of years ago.  I felt like I didn't want to focus on what I didn't like anymore.  That is what I used to do more of in the past...focus on what I didn't want, or didn't like or what didn't work.  I used to take the list and burn it sometime during the last few hours of the year.  I believed the negative energy drifted off into the smoke and out my life.

Now I make a list of everything that I am grateful for that happened in the year.  I find the list to be more light, and happy and an all round amazing experience.  Making the list helps me stay present to how full and wonderful my life is.  I don't burn the list anymore either...there is nothing negative in the list that needs to be carried away out of my life.

So I'd like to share my list with you (in no particular order)!!  This list will get longer as I think of more that I am grateful for!  Maybe this will inspire you to start the same tradition!!

-love that I receive and that I give to/from friends, family, strangers and myself
-my cozy and safe apartment
-clean water to drink
-hot showers/baths
-clean air
-always food in my fridge, cupboards and tummy!
-my health
-all 5 senses in tack and working perfectly!
-my beautiful/amazing/loving/inspirational/generous/supportive friends
-my family -mom, dad, sister, twin brother, sister-in-law and my 2 beautiful nieces...one born in Aug and one who is almost 6 years old!
-technology-computer, cell phone
-buying my new camera this summer
-the gift of "my eye" in photography
-living in the most spectacular city- Vancouver
-living close to the seawall and taking the opportunities to walk/run/play on it
-keeping up my running and desire to stay/be healthy
-my car
-safe travels in my car
-money to pay my bills, gas, food, and entertainment items
-the ocean, mountains, trees, stars, the sun, the moon, rain, snow, sand, dirt, flowers (the list is literally endless!!)...Mother Nature/Mother Earth
-my beautiful smile
-my beautiful and expressive eyes
-my sense of wonder and child-like nature (playing in and exploring the world)
-my creativeness (making my jewellery and calendars, photography, knitting...)
-chocolate
-my snowshoes/bike/running shoes/rollerblades
-my innate willingness and ability to keep expanding my awareness of myself and life
-music that moves me
-movies that make me laugh and cry
-the abundance of life/universe
-for having had my little man in my life (Zac)
-my job working with amazing co-workers and children
-my clown character Penelope and my clown best friend Sally Jo Bobby Flo
-laughter
-sushi
-my fireplace
-my electric blanket for making my bed even cozier!
-flannel sheets
-expressing my emotions and feeling from my heart
-free tickets to the Nutcracker
-having Vancouver host the Olympics (I had SOOOOOO much fun!)
-crossing off 2 things from my bucket list (seeing the Nutcracker and climbing The Chief)
-TV shows that I like- Modern Family, Glee, Grey's Anatomy, The Amazing Race
-my growing appreciation and gratitude of life/universe
-spending Christmas with family (one high light-watching my niece put out cookies and carrots for Santa and the reindeer...so sweet and full of magic)
-having my friends J&P back in my life
-always having a place to stay when I visit friends in Victoria
-having started my blog and expressing myself through words
-my willingness to keep picking myself up after "bad dating" experiences and keep believing he is out there
-having an extended medical plan at work
-having my brother and his family live close enough for me to see them every month or so
-having friends that love to explore and play with me


Then on the 1st of January I write all the things I would like to create/come into my life.  Here is my list so far.  And this list will get longer as well as I think/dream of more.

-being in relationship with the love of my life/man of my dreams
-increased self awareness and self love
-becoming financially free by the end of the year
-being in the present moment every moment
-more playing and exploring
-getting on a plane and going somewhere I have never been before
-crossing 3 more things off my bucket list
-identifying my unique and special talents/abilities/ideas and creating something prosperous and fulfilling with them

I love looking back over the year and seeing all that has happened and feeling so much love and gratitude for it all.  Then, I love to create and be open for what is going to happen in the new year.  The more gratitude I feel and share, the more I know I am in the present moment.  There is nothing there that lacks, is missing, no fear, and no worries.  I have everything I need when I am present in the moment.  I believe what I focus on expands, so I choose to focus on all that I have, all that I love, all the beauty around me and all of that makes my heart sing and burst open.  I am truely blessed.

May you have a wonderful last few days of 2010.  May you create and be open for all that makes your heart sing in 2011.

Here is a song that I love, that moves me emotionally and physically and that I see as great metaphor for moving into the New Year.  Doesn't New Year's have a lot of fireworks??!!  Why not be one yourself!!

2 comments:

  1. Love.
    Love.
    Love.
    I do the gratitude list on new years eve. I don't go out until it's complete. I've been doing that for about 15 years. It frees me up to start creating right away. i love that feeling.

    and only 3 things off your bucket list? i bet you cross off more.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cinderita! It is fun isn't it?! I didn't know you have been doing it for 15 years! Wow! Do you keep the lists and look over them once in a while too? I might start to write out my list as things happen during the year so I can remember everything!! And 3 things off my list...that is what I am starting with, but might not finish with!!

    ReplyDelete