Genki

Photobucket Gen: Origin or Source Photobucket Ki: Air, Spirit and Energy

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Magic on a Mountain Top

I witnessed magic on top of a mountain today!

Let me start at the beginning of the day.  I had an open schedule today.  No plans at all.  I called some friends to see if we could go and do something together, but everyone I talked to was busy.  I was a little bummed out.  I was actually feeling sorry for myself and thinking, "If only I had a boyfriend, I would have had plans today too!"  I started going down the slippery slope of my dark rabbit hole, but caught myself before getting to far down.  Instead of wallowing and throwing myself a pity party,  I choose to go snowshoeing up on Grouse Mountain instead.  I have a pass that allows me to go up on the gondola as many times as I want in a year.  I bought snowshoes this past January and haven't had many opportunities to use them so I thought this was a perfect time to go.

For me, there is something so magical and exciting about snow.  I feel like a kid.  The anticipation of seeing just how wintery it was up on Grouse was overwhelming!!  Being on the gondola and watching us pass over the naked green trees into a scene of a forest dressed in it's finest whites put a huge smile of my face.  Seeing the rain that hit the windows change into beautiful snowflakes put an even bigger smile on my face!  I was so happy about my decision to come and play on Grouse today!!

Stepping off the gondola was like stepping into a winter wonderland!  It was hard to believe that 6 minutes before it felt like it was spring!  I didn't have a coat, toque or mittens on.  It was raining a little too.  Now, here I was standing in snow inches thick that crunched under my feet!!  There were so many people up there!  I loved watching little wee kids in full ski gear boot down the mountain with no fear.  Kids on the skating rink wibbling and wobbling!  People in line for the sleigh rides and a visit with Santa.  So fun!

I strapped on my snowshoes and headed up Dam Mountain.  I pulled out my big camera as I was so inspired by the beauty and I couldn't stop taking pictures.  I have a thing for photography (http://www.invokephotography.com/).  I lose myself in the moment.  Everything stops.  My mind is so focussed when I am taking pictures.  I couldn't stop smiling!  Today was a day of pure enjoyment. I was doing things I loved so much - photography, being active and exploring the outdoors.  I was in heaven!!



So up I went.  Oh dear, I forgot how hard it was.  It is called Dam Mountain for a reason...because it is DAM hard!!  Straight up.  I stopped many times to catch my breath and used the time to take more pictures.  I also used the breaks to talk to some people that were on the same adventure.  There was one couple who I talked to a few times.  The woman was getting tired and didn't know if she could make it to the top.  I encouraged her by saying that it wasn't to much further and that the view on the top was worth all the struggle (I kept having to tell myself that too!).  I finally made it to the top.  I was busy taking pictures when I saw the couple come up.  I congratulated them for pushing themselves and making it to the peak!  I continued taking more pictures.

I was packing up my gear when I turned to them and asked which way they were heading down.  She turned to me with a huge smile and I saw the man place a ring on her finger!  I was witnessing a marriage proposal!!  No, I actually interrupted a marriage proposal!!  I screamed I think!  And then I apologized!  And then I jumped up and down, clapping my mitted hands together!  And then I asked if they wanted me to take pictures.  They handed me their camera and I asked them to do it all over again!!  They laughed, and the man got back down on one knee and slipped the ring back on her finger!   It was so beautiful!!  It was so perfect!!  The snowy backdrop and the gently falling snow made it all the more magical!!  I almost cried.  Being a part of something so rare and beautiful has renewed my faith in love, magic and life.  We all couldn't stop laughing and smiling!!  I pulled out my big camera and took a few pro shots for them too!!  They thanked me for being a support, for encouraging them to keep going. They said the moment might not have happened exactly as it did if it wasn't for me!! 


 The fun of the day didn't end there!!  The way back down was to steep to walk, so I got down on my bum and slid most of the way down!!  I couldn't stop laughing!!  I stopped once to indulge my child within even more by making a snow angel!!  I was so excited, so inspired and so moved by the events and experiences of my day, that I waited in line to visit Santa.  I HAD to ask him for something very special for Christmas!  I sat on his knee and he asked if I had been a good girl this year!!  I told him that I was, and he asked what I wanted for Christmas.  I asked him for the "Love Of My Life" for Christmas.  He smiled, and I swear I saw a twinkle in his eye!  He said he would do his best and also said he didn't think I should have a problem finding the love of my life as I seemed to be a good and beautiful person!  Thanks Santa!

That was my day.  Mountains, snow, snowshoeing, picture taking, snow angels, bum sliding, Santa, laughter, marriage proposal and....magic.  Pure magic!

4 comments:

  1. Kristi this is unbelievably beautiful! Thank you for sharing your day with us and especially for pulling yourself out of the rabbit hole before it was too late. Think of what you would've missed. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing day and your photo is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cinderita-I keep thinking about how perfect life is and how everything happens for a reason! I was upset that I started my day quite late and got to Grouse way past the time I wanted. Now, if I had gotten there even 5 minutes earlier, I would have missed that beautiful moment!! I said "Thank you" a lot that day!

    Mynx- Thank you for your comment about my photo. It was an amazing day with amazing scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank yu for taking that smiling/can't stop laughing feeling, and spreading it around for us all to feel and enjoy. What a beautiful story!

    http://freakshowinheals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete