Genki

Photobucket Gen: Origin or Source Photobucket Ki: Air, Spirit and Energy

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Writing...A New Beginning

I've been wanting to write a blog for awhile now but haven't felt like I had anything to say.  "Who am I to think I have anything important to say and who cares what I do have to say??"  Actually, that is just part of the reason I hadn't started blogging.  The main reason is that I have been afraid that I don't know how to write what I've been wanting to say. 

I've had the idea that I couldn't write for years.  I actually have proof I can't.  I was diagnosed with a learning disability when I was in university.  I found it hard (and still do) to read the simplest things.  I had to keep rereading and rereading the same thing again and again.  It took me hours to get through a couple pages of a text book.  I couldn't get through 2 pages without crying because I didn't understand it and couldn't remember what I had read 2 minutes earlier. I would get welts all over my body from the stress of studying.  I couldn't write down what I wanted to say.  All my words formed perfect sentences in my mind but got all jumbled up when I went to write them out.  I couldn't sit in a lecture and listen and take notes at the same time.  I didn't understand what was wrong with me.  Everyone else seemed to be breezing through the courses with no problems!  They were taking notes, listening and smiling all at the same time!  I confessed my anguish to a counselor and they suggested I get tested.  The results came back.  LEARNING DISABLED.  I have to admit that what I felt was relief.  There was a condition responsible for my difficulties and it wasn't "me".  I thought it was me for years,  that I wasn't smart enough or good enough or something like that.

I got a lot of help from the university.  They had someone come to my lectures and take notes so I could just listen.  Someone taped themselves reading all my textbooks so I could listen and read at the same time.  My sister sat with me at the computer and she graciously typed what I was spitting out into the most beautiful sentences. I am so grateful for all the help that I received.  It did make life a little easier although it was still tough. Really tough.  And it still is.  I still experience these difficulties. 

I am so scared to write.  I still freak out and cry sometimes and my heart feels like it is jumping out of my chest.  It has taken me over 7 hours within a week to write this one blog entry.  I keep trying to get it right.  I keep reading it over and changing it.  I keep comparing my writing and wishing it was like other peoples' writing.  I want to be them.  I want the words to flow and be whimsical and impacting.  I have it that I should be able to sit down and whip off an entry in minutes.  I get that my words might not make a difference. I might not having flowing sentences and a whimsical sense of humour.  I will have spelling mistakes, grammar errors and disjointed ideas and I am afraid that people will judge me for all of this.  But I am writing.   The voice inside my head is yelling at me so loud right now saying "You can't do this!! You're not a writer!  You are making a fool of yourself!  People will judge you because of your spelling and grammar!  You have nothing to say!  You suck at this!!!"  Well....Screw the voice!  I have listened to that voice for too long.  I have kept myself small listening to that voice.  People are going to judge me no matter what I do!  So, here I am. Writing. I am way out of my comfort zone. I am sooooo uncomfortable.  That is how I know I am growing, expanding, creating myself anew. 

I am writing...a new beginning.  Welcome.

11 comments:

  1. Hey genkigirl! Great post!! Love ya!!

    your sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got goosebumps reading your post! As a writer myself, I totally identify with what you're saying about not believing you can get it right or not thinking you can be whimsical or have a good flow. I think you just pinpointed what every single writer experiences (learning disable or not)!!!
    You are awesome! And your very first attempt at writing is beautiful--it's from the heart, it's authentic, it's inspiring, it's you.
    Love you!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, my Friend. Thank you for sharing yourself with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with this. Thank you so much for stepping beyond the voice. Wow. WOW! I am so inspired. Welcome to a whole new world my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Screw the voice! Well done! This post bought me close tears and I am so pleased that you have help. Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome! You are a writer..Yes you are.. You wrote that first post and it came from your heart. You voiced ALL the things that a writer goes through no matter how long they have been writing or even how long they have wanted to write and felt they couldn't. YOU SHOWED UP..the most important step!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No judgement here. That was beautiful. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! No matter what others think YOUR blog is about Your life, thoughts, ambitions, dreams, goals, memories, and whatever you want to write, don't let anyone take your glory, be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your comments! I feel so accepted and welcomed into this new world!! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful first post! Welcome to blog-land. :) I found you through Cinderita and look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Redhead named Sam...thank you for your comment and for your warm welcome! Isn't Cinderita amazing! I am glad you found me through her!

    ReplyDelete